Monday, April 13, 2009

13 April 2009

My name is Aaron. I will be participating in CrossFit Central's Spartan Challenge which starts May 9th, from which I got the inspiration for the name of my blog.

In ancient Greece, the Agoge was the education and training program all Spartan males undertook to become warriors. It was begun at age seven. The program’s aim was building physically and morally strong warriors for the Spartan army.

Why all the stuff about warriors? Partly because it fits the theme, “Spartan 300 Challenge.” However, I believe that life is about making choices. Everyone chooses how they live - how they approach life - though everyone may not be consciously aware of it.

CrossFit Central coaches Jeremy Thiel and Lance Cantu have excellent posts about this.

Both Lt. Col. Dave Grossman and Jack Hoban have written poignantly about choosing to approach life as a warrior.

Grossman’s "On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs" in particular resonated with me. Since choosing to live as a warrior (or sheepdog, or whatever label you put on it) is about choice, I've decided to post honestly about my strengths, weaknesses, and ultimately my progress in CrossFit. What better way to approach, experience, and ultimately appreciate life - and CrossFit - than with the discipline of a warrior?

WOD: @ CrossFit Central
"I Am CrossFit"
3 Rounds for time:
400 meter run
15 pullups
7 power hang clean @135lbs

Finished in 11:56 rx'd. The last round of cleans got ugly - really ugly - but I finished with a PR nonetheless. Felt good to go sub-twelve after what I felt like was a sputtering finish to the I Am CrossFit challenge. Improvement feels great!

No comments:

Post a Comment