Friday, July 9, 2010

learning lessons the hard way

My favorite recurring minor injury is back: a lower back muscle strain. Over the last two days I've had a couple of trips to the chiro, and done a lot of trigger point work. So I was feeling good this morning during the warm up...

STRENGTH/SKILL
full barbell snatch
5-5-5

65-65-65
I stayed light to save my back and work technique, felt OK throughout, and was confident going into the workout...

WOD
21-15-9
full barbell snatch
pull-ups

DNF. 7 reps into round one my back started to seize up. But I'm stubborn so I kept going... just very, very slowly. One rep at a time slowly. I wasn't even breathing hard, I was just being stupid and trying to work through the pain. After I completed the 15 round Jeremy stopped me.

So, I'm going to be smart and take a recovery weekend. I'm not taking it "off" though. I will be eating clean, stretching, and hitting the trigger point kit a minimum of 3 times a day. I'm gonna be sleeping in too!


If you're out and about tomorrow morning come by SICFIT Austin for the Black & Red Challenge. I'll see ya there (as a spectator of course)!

The CrossFit Journal recently profiled four CrossFit Games competitors from CrossFit Central. See the interviews with Lindsey Smith, Carey Kepler, Jen Cardella, and Jessica Sharratt right here.

Have a great weekend y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment