Wednesday, October 27, 2010

hump day lesson

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"
— Dr. Seuss


Decided to work some heavy split-jerks today. This is quickly becoming a favorite lift of mine...

WARM-UP
shoulder mobility drills
pvc roller legs/foam roller upper back
pvc pipe pass-through
pvc pipe push-jerk
7 barbell push-jerk @45#
5 barbell split-jerk @135#
2 barbell split-jerk @155#

OLY/STRENGTH
split jerk
1-1-1-1-1

165-175-185PR TIE-195F-195F

I hit 185 solid and was thinking "OK feeling good, time for the PR tie at 195!" For some reason, I had it in my head that my 1RM was 195lbs. Oops. The lesson here: check your log and see your numbers before you start the workout!

A little mistake like that can throw of your mental game without you knowing it. If I had known I hit my PR on my 3rd lift, my confidence would've been soaring going into lifts 4 and 5. Instead I was thinking about not hitting a lift I (imagined) that I'd already done.

So, lesson learned. Moving on. Not a "bad day," just a "slightly off" day. But it's still a training day. I got some heavy work in, and built more confidence with heavy weights.

Happy hump day boys and girls. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment