Tuesday, September 28, 2010

wild Tuesday

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
~ Edmund Burke

Slept in this morning and within minutes of waking I got a txt message about the shooter on campus. I was shocked. Quite a surreal way to start your day. Now I don't know whether this kid was merely a bad shot or had a change of heart and decided not to kill innocent people but either way, I'm very glad that nobody else was hurt.

More will be known about this guy soon, but I'll bet you the 9mm Beretta in my bedside table that the gun control debate will be raised in the wake of this...

I do know that the world is still a wonderful place and we shouldn't let the few evil people in it overshadow the many, many more good people out there. It may not always seem like it, but the "good guys" have always outnumbered the "bad guys." The trick is, us good folk have to keep stepping up in the face of evil to make it back down.

Retired US Army Lt. Col. Dave Grossman has an article about one kind of stepping up, and uses the analogy of a sheepdog. Please take the time and read it. It's worth every minute.

Another great read I recommend is by Jack Hoban, a martial artist of note, and part of an organization I had the privilege to train with before injuring my knees awhile back. Basically, he talks about approaching martial arts training with the focus of protecting life (either yours or others). Heady stuff, but good stuff.

I digress, but to make my point I'm going to hit y'all with a zen saying:

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the gathering darkness."

So get out there and shine your light. Whatever it is you do, no matter how small the act, people notice. Stepping down from my soapbox now. Peace.

----

Oh yeah I trained today! I arrived at the gym a little early this afternoon to hit the foam roller for a few minutes before class started. My shoulders and calves were pretty torched from FGB5 and yesterday's HSPU. Big Mike had us do some hip mobility drills as part of our warm-up, then we got in some solid interval work.

WOD1
5 rounds, 90 second rest interval
In one minute, perform 10 unbroken pull-ups and max rep burpees.

my burpees today were 21-19-17-17-17

I managed to stay fairly consistent with the burpees, and alternated between the regular and butterfly kip on the pull-ups.

WOD2
four 200 yard sprints (50 yards down and back x2), 2 minute rest interval

:33, :34, :34, :35

I didn't really feel yesterday's squats until we got into these sprints, but I was smoked by the end of this! Good stuff.

See y'all maƱana.

No comments:

Post a Comment