Wednesday, June 24, 2009

24 June 2009

WOD: @ CrossFit Central
I'll call this one "tabata sandwich"
Slice one:
two minutes of tabata squats (20 seconds work and 10 seconds rest, rest standing up)
Meat:
5 rounds for time
run 400 meters
20 dumbell floor press @55#DBs (like DB bench press, only on a med ball)
Slice two:
two minutes of bottom-to-bottom tabata squats (rest position is a below-parallel squat)

On slice one I scored 17.
DNF the meat: completed 3 rounds + 3 press at twenty minute time cap, first round rx'd DB, the rest at 45# DBs, subbed 500 meters row for each run.
On slice two I scored 11.

Performance wise my tabata squats are improving, it was the DB press that killed me. Probably should have scaled to the 45s from the start, so as to keep consistent output throughout the WOD. Just yesterday I listened to Paul "Apolloswabbie" Eich discuss scaling to facilitate ratcheting up intensity - intensity being key to improving fitness - in his recent interview on CrossFit radio.

Oh well. Live and learn... but man did I get my ass kicked today. It's been awhile since I've wobbled out of the gym with shaky legs and arms, wondering if I'm good to drive yet... good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment